KILBRIDE NATIONAL SCHOOL
Ní neart go cur le chéile
Intimate Care & Toileting Policy
Children with Specific Toileting/Intimate Care Needs:
- In all situations where a pupil needs assistance with Toileting/Intimate care, a meeting will be convened, after enrolment and before the child starts school.
- Parents, Guardians, Principal, Class Teacher, SNA, and if appropriate, the pupil, will attend.
- The specific care needs of the child, and how the school will meet them, will be clarified.
- Personnel involved in this care will be identified.
- Provision for occasions when staffs are absent will be outlined e.g. Substitute SNA’s will not generally be involved in intimate care. Any change of personnel will be discussed with the pupil, if appropriate.
- Two members of staff will be present when dealing with intimate care needs.
- Any changes will be discussed with parent/guardian and pupil and noted in writing to the pupil’s file.
- As far as possible the pupil will be involved in identification of his/her personal requirements, wishes, changes etc.
- A written copy of the agreement will be kept on the pupils file.
- Parents will be notified of any changes from agreed procedures.
- At all times the dignity and privacy of the pupil will be paramount in addressing intimate care needs.
- Staff will wear protective gloves.
- At the Junior Infant induction meetings, the school procedures will be outlined to parents, and they will be asked to submit in writing specific wishes regarding toileting accidents.
- A supply of clean underwear, wipes, track-suit bottoms etc will be kept in the school.
- In the first instance, the pupil will be offered fresh clothing to clean and change themselves.
- If, for any reason, the child is unable to clean or change themselves, the procedure outlined by parents will be followed.
- If staff must clean /change the child, two members of staff, familiar to the child will attend to him/her.
- This will be carried out in the bathroom.
- Parents will be notified of these accidents.
- A record of the incident will be kept.
This policy was reviewed by the Board of Management in the academic year 2018/2019 and will be reviewed in the academic year 2019/2020.